International Students Overview
International students are welcomed at Marlborough Boys' College and every effort is made to make their stay in Blenheim, New Zealand a happy and worthwhile experience. We recognise and appreciate the contribution they make to our school community.
All staff are dedicated to ensuring that students from overseas have as much support and information as possible to enable them to settle into the College environment quickly and comfortably.
Our teaching staff work with the students in classroom situations as well as on a one-to-one basis to help non-English speakers progress to a point where they can integrate fully into the school curriculum. The International Students Academic Advisor works closely with the school administrator and our Homestay Contractor to give extra support to students when they first arrive (if this is needed) as well as if any difficulties arise during their time with us. Students are taken through a school-wide orientation programme on arrival. The pastoral care of our International Students and assisting them to make the most of their time at Marlborough Boys’ College is foremost in the minds of all of us.
Marlborough Boys' College offers a wide range of subjects. For full details, please refer to the Academic section. English as a Second Language (ESOL) classes can be scheduled for all International Students after they have been tested to gauge the entry level of ESOL necessary for each student. We have four levels of ESOL and students may begin their time at MBC in more than one ESOL class.
Why chose Marlborough Boys' College?
- Blenheim is a safe and affordable education option.
- International students live with a New Zealand homestay family. Staying with families provides a great opportunity to improve English skills,
- We are a school with rising academic achievement.
- We are a school that provides exciting opportunities in the Arts.
- We are a school with a wide range of sporting opportunities.
- MBC is a boys school with a close sister school relationship with Marlborough Girls’ College for combined activities such as musical and dramatic productions, sports, and school discos.
- The international programme at MBC is limited to 20 students.
- There are excellent facilities.
- MBC has a proven track record with international students with an emphasis on a friendly and caring school community.
- A personal interest is taken in all boys. Our three International staff support each international student. Frequent communication is made through agents to parents for regular reporting.
- A programme of activities outside the classroom is offered to students.
- There are many opportunities to interact with local students.